CONSUMER PROTECTION COUNCILS
4. The Central Consumer Protection Council.—
5. Procedure for meetings of the Central Council.—
6. Objects of the Central Council.—The objects of the Central Council shall be to promote and protect the rights of the consumers such as,—
(a) the right to be protected against the marketing of goods and services which are hazardous to life and property;
(b) the right to be informed about the quality, quantity, potency, purity, standard and price of goods or services, as the case may be so as to protect the consumer against unfair trade practices;
(c) the right to be assured, wherever possible, access to a variety of goods and services at competitive prices;
(d) the right to be heard and to be assured that consumer's interests will receive due consideration at appropriate forums;
(e) the right to seek redressal against unfair trade practices or restrictive trade practices or unscrupulous exploitation of con¬sumers; and
(f) the right to consumer education.
7. The State Consumer Protection Councils.--
8. Objects of the State Council.—The objects of every State Council shall be to promote and protect within the State the rights of the consumers laid down in clauses (a) to (f) of section 6.
(1) The State Government shall establish for every district, by notification, a council to be known as the District Consumer Protection Council with effect from such date as it may specify in such notification.
(2) The District Consumer Protection Council (hereinafter referred to as the District Council) shall consist of the following members, namely:— (a) the Collector of the district (by whatever name called), who shall be its Chairman; and (b) such number of other official and non-official members representing such interests as may be prescribed by the State Government.
(3) The District Council shall meet as and when necessary but not less than two meetings shall be held every year.
(4) The District Council shall meet at such time and place within the district as the Chairman may think fit and shall observe such procedure in regard to the transaction of its business as may be prescribed by the State Government.
8B. The objects of every District Council shall be to promote and protect within the district the rights of the consumers laid down in clauses (a) to (f) of section 6.